Friday, December 3, 2010

Laramie project refleaction

Mass media
Shelan Kalur
Laramie Project Reflection

The Question: How did you feel when reading The Laramie Project?

When I was reading the book called the Laramie Project in our class, I felt really sad and just out of control that the fact how Matthew Sheppard was beaten and killed. Matthew Sheppard had got killed and beaten just because he told these two other guys that he was gay. The two guys that killed Matthew Sheppard were named Russell Henderson and Aaron McKinney. They had beat Matthew really bad because he had got head injures that really affect him to die. If something like that kind of situation happen to me, which I don’t hope so, I would have a lot of pain too. They had tied him to a fence in a rural area, leaving him to die until the police can find him. Matthew Sheppard murder had brought national and international attention to the issues of hate crime legislation at the state and federal levels.

It was a good thing that those two guys had got caught and put in jail, because if they weren’t, then I think it wouldn’t be a good idea because they could have made more trouble for themselves and others by causing more problems. Also I want to talk about the place called Laramie, after an opening comment by the narrator, one of the town’s long-time resident provides a bit of personal history about living in the place called Laramie. People had concern about the town Laramie, because they knew something had been changed. For example, in the book there was a quote that said “it’s hard to talk about Laramie now.” Then he continues: “if you would have asked me before, I would have told you Laramie is a beautiful town.” But unfortunately things have been changed in the town Laramie because of the issue about Matthew Sheppard case.

I think the reason why people are having concern is because maybe of what happen to Matthew had caused others in the town. People now think the town Laramie is not a safe and good place to stay in. I would think that way too, because if I had hear or seen someone getting beaten or killed just because he or she is gay or Elizabethan I think I would start to hate that place and not go back to that place anymore forever because I know its not a safe place to be in. I rather am safe and not getting hurt than getting beaten just for saying something out loud to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment