Monday, December 6, 2010

Laramie Project

I thought that the Laramie Project was a very good book, surprisingly. I thought it might be another one of the boring books assigned like those in the past English classes. As I started reading it, I found out that it wasn’t the same old plot and same old format. I found the play’s format of being informal yet sincere to be gripping and made me want to read it.

During the beginning of it I sort of thought that this was going to be an overdone lame version of some over-exaggerated story about some guy who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. However, when the story started to pick up I started to feel increasingly bad for Matthew Sheppard and realized that a lot more people were affected by his death than I previously expected. I felt kind of mad that there were people who were actually trying to defend McKinney’s actions against Sheppard. On top of this, it was worse that a lot of the Christians in the region had to step in and say “well maybe his lifestyle wasn’t right.” The worst part of the story is reading about Fred Phelps and that he came to protest at his funeral. All I could think was “wrong place, wrong time” again, and that Fred Phelps needs to go away… in my nicest words.

All in all, I thought that this play was good. I felt like it was well written in that it wasn’t just a story about Matthew and how he got beaten up. It shows the reality, in that the death had an enormous impact and they communicated that well by having an overdose of interviews. To conclude, I thought the play did a very good job about showing this events gigantic impact on society.

No comments:

Post a Comment