Monday, December 6, 2010

Laramie Project Reflection

           I found The Laramie Project to be a very interesting play.  At first, I was extremely reluctant to pay attention and really try to get engaged.  But what I came to find out was that it was a great play with lots of important everyday life morals.  Reading all the interviews helped me to understand the play much more.  With so many views from both sides of the argument made the play much more contentious.   I also enjoyed how the book wasn’t afraid to use profanity.  I think this helped the play to stick with the reader more because it didn’t sugar coat things with clean and innocent vocabulary.   I was shocked to find out that somebody would actually murder an innocent boy in Wyoming just for the simple fact that he was a homosexual.
             One of the things that stuck out to me the most was the way the town excluded homosexuals.  Such as the Baptist Minister, he believed that the bible states homosexuality is wrong.  This caused many more people to ultimately agree with the fact homosexuality is wrong.  Acceptance was such a strong theme in the play and it clearly explains the character’s behaviors. It was wonderful to read that in such a dark time, the people that were hurt the most were still filled with such love and good souls. 
The Laramie Project reminded me how precious freedom is and how pure this supposedly free country still is.  The Laramie Project had lots of different perspectives which helped us to make many connections to the play.   My first impression of the play was very far off.  I had no idea I would be so engaged in the reading and enjoy the play as much as I did.  Overall, I would suggest this play to be read in high schools all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment