Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Laramie Project Reflection

Throughout the reading of The Laramie Project, I had mixed emotions.  It is terribly tragic and disgusting how people think it's alright to kill other people. It was hard for me to hear about the murder and the specific detail of how the biker, Aaron Kreifels, found Matthew Shepard after the killing took place. When reading it in class, it was sometimes hard to follow along just because I can't comprehend as easily what others are saying. Regardless, I would've been fine not reading the play. I am not a fan of reading about homosexuality and especially the reasoning behind why Shepard was killed. Also, I have never been one to like reading plays, I think it has something to do with the format of it.
A very specific example from the play that I really didn't enjoy reading about was when Kreifels found Shepard. It's truly amazing how he was discovered because as Aaron said, he did not intend to take that path biking, which lead him to believe it was meant to be. I felt bereaved and bitter inside when they described what Shepard looked like....he was found tied to a "buck" fence, beaten and unconcious, obviously dieing a few days after in a coma. It's interesting that this murder even occured because the city of Laramie in Wyoming was known to have many gays living there. As Sargeant Hing stated: “How could this happen? I—I think a lot of people just don’t understand, and even I don’t really understand, how someone can do something like that. We have one of the most vocal populations of gay people in the state. . . .And it’s pretty much: Live and let live.”
 It's disheartening to know that some people are so against homosexuality. I believe if one wants to come out and be gay, they should have the complete right to do so. I just think they should not publicy display their affection for one another or purposfully expose their homosexuality for those who do feel uncomfotable with it. Baptist Minister, believes the Bible states that homosexuality is wrong. I believe it is an opinion and one should be able to have the choice whether they want to like the same sex. The Laramie Project displayed a case that actually does happen these days and it's terrible to see how homosexuals are discrimminated against.

No comments:

Post a Comment