Sunday, December 5, 2010

Laramie Project Reflection

How I felt while reading the Laramie Project

When we started reading the Laramie Project to be honest I was bummed we had to read a book. Except as we began to read my views changed. Reading all the interviews that were documented were really interesting. With so many views from both ends of the spectrum made the book that much more controversial. When reading the book at times I felt uncomfortable reading it and other times I just got really mad at what some of the people were saying. I couldn't believe that somebody would do this to a poor boy who did nothing wrong.
One section of the play affected me a lot more than I thought it would. It was the section were it had multiple interviews from other homosexuals. They said that they were scared to come out and admit they were gay/lesbian. This made me mad. Nobody should have to feel that way. Everyone should feel safe within there own skin and not have to pretend to be somebody they are not. A quote from a character I had to read said, "I'm afraid to show any affection for my partner in public anymore." People should feel safe walking around their own town and not scared for there lives. People need to realize that people are people and there is no difference between us.
As my views changed while reading the Laramie Project it opened my eyes. I hadn't heard the story before and it was interesting to read about it. This story will stick with me for a very long time. I was able to get involved with the story and it related to what is still going on in this world today. I will most likely forget names, places and details. The story and my reaction I won’t forget though. Since my feelings about the story were so strong and I was emotionally involved I learned a lot from reading this book. I believe that everybody should have to read this book because of the story, information and perspectives it provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment