Sunday, December 5, 2010

Laramie Project reflection-Alex Rash


When reading the Laramie Project I was immediately stuck with many different emotions.  I was filled with anger and hatred but among those was a feeling of hope.  What makes this incident so important was a thought that ran through my mind.  After reading this play I have now understood what the Laramie Project says for free speech and equality.  No wonder why this play is among the top choices for plays in High Schools.  The Laramie Project portrayed one town in America at the end of the millennium. But in doing so, it managed to capture something American, something about social injustices and beliefs. It told the story of one American town at the end of the millennium, but by doing so, it talked about America as a whole and how people’s beliefs are changing and what used to be acceptable is now frowned upon by society. 
How this play was written was exceptionally well done.  I was able to see the point of view from a very wide range of people.  I could really both sides to the incident.  From what I have read, Mathew Sheppard’s death was covered by the media in some form of a sensational story.  The media portrayed the incident in many biased ways.  The  Tectonic Theater group did not like this so by interviewing the residents made the story very real and emotional.  I thought it was very interesting how so many residents have a common feeling of guilt that in some way they could have saved Mathew.
When I started reading the Laramie Project I was not excited at all.  It’s a play, and it’s about a small and how they killed an openly gay man called Mathew Sheppard.  It turns out it’s much more then a simple play.  The play did an excellent job in interviewing all of the people who could have possibly had a connection to Mathew.  The language used is very intense.  I will remember this play because of how it made me feel.  While I was shocked and very disturbed at what happened I was also hopeful for Mathew and what his example serves for hate crimes across the globe.  I see this play being used, as examples to teach people the harm of hate crimes.  This play serves as an example of the harm done by ruthless individuals but more importantly as a guide on how America views homosexuals and where it’s headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment